Monday 5 November 2012

Maybe it's me, but...

The discovery of Richard's body (if it is him) seems also to have dug up all the old, fruitless arguments between his 'supporters' and his 'detractors' - for want of better labels. Maybe it's because I'm so long in the game, but the exercise seems increasingly pointless. For every argument there is a counter-argument, and neither side is going to change its collective mind. I can think of parallels, but I've no wish to be offensive so I'll spare you the comparison. I just get weary of reading the same old stuff on every Ricardian and Wars of the Roses Forum I've subscribed to. Because of this, I've pretty much given up joining in.

2 comments:

laurablanchard said...

I solved this a long time ago.
On Mondays and Thursdays I believe Richard did it.
On Tuesdays and Fridays I blame Henry Tudor.
On Wednesdays and Saturdays I blame the Duke of Buckingham.
And on Sundays I believe the Tooth Fairy carried them off to Oz.

Unknown said...

On the matter of Richard's idiopathic adolescent onset scoliosis - an inherited genetic condition - I noticed while researching Tudor: The Family Story 0 that this condition was suffered by a Tudor king - Edward VI, who, like Richard, was described as having one shoulder higher than the other. As he died aged fifteen, and was memorialized as a Godly Protestant king, no one did a Shakespeare on his deformity. Another suffered was, I believe, Lady Mary Grey, who was very short and 'crook backed'. best wishes Leanda de Lisle